August 31, 2006

Busy, Busy, Busy

Soccer and football started this week. I'm not sure how I'm going to survive this season. T, M, and S are all playing soccer, and T is also playing football. Soccer is on Tuesdays and Thursdays. How am I going to get 3 kids to 3 different soccer games on 3 different fields, at the same time? That is the big question. T plays football on Wed. and Sat. So, that's 8 games per week I get to go to, not to mention my own co-ed game once a week. We also get to juggle in scouts, homework, ballet, PTA, enrichment (I just called to be the leader), friends, FHE, and any other unexpected event that happens to pop up. We are going to be busy, busy, busy. But, I'd much rather be busy than bored.

Today is my first activity as EL. We are having an emergency preparedness olympics. I hope it'll turn out as good and as fun as it sounds. We are touching on 5 areas:

Earthquakes - We are going to have an earthquake drill, and then have someone from the ambulance to come in to talk about what to do in case of an earthquake. Then we are giving dust masks as the hand outs.

Financial - The bishop is coming in to talk about the importance of being financially prepared; getting out of debt, paying your tithing, etc. Each person will get a Pay Day candy bar with a scripture attached.

72-hour Kits - We are having a relay race where you have to dial 911, flip the breaker switch, turn off the water, roll up a sleeping bag, put together a 72-hour kit, and then put it all in a back pack. Then we'll talk about the importance of having your kits put together before an emergency happens. I put a package of top ramen, a water bottle, and an emergency blanket in a bag and wrapped them all together as the handout to give ideas of some things you might want to have in your kits.

Food Storage - My friend is coming in to talk about food storage; what to store, how to store it, where to store it, and how to use it. For this handout, they are getting salt, granola bars, and hot chocolate. All things that can easily be stored.

Spiritual - For our last station we will have our teacher give a short lesson on being spiritually prepared, and how important it is that we be ready. Each person will get a scripture pencil, with a scripture attached.

For refreshments we are having samples of things you could make from your food storage. I know there'll be pinto bean fudge, which sounds totally disgusting, but I've heard it's actually pretty good. I'm not sure what other samples our "food lady" decided to make. Then, we'll also have some normal food: a fruit tray, and a veggie tray.

Then, we'll have closing prayer. Afterwards the people who signed up will stay and put together 72-hour kits. We've got a full evening planned and I really hope it turns out okay.

So as soon as the kids get home from school, we'll do homework and then get ready for our crazy evening.
T - soccer practice 5:00-6:00
M - soccer game 6:00 - 6:45
S - soccer game 5 :15 - 6:00
Me - drive everyone everywhere and be at the church by 6:00 to set up
DH and I - softball game 7:30-8:30
DH - work meeting at 8:30

I'll be able to manage everything except making it to my own game, and DH will have to leave our game about 15 minutes early. Other than that we should be good! And then we'll all be ready to crash so we can do it again tomorrow.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. You are one busy family. I am thankful I only have one in activities so far. The other two are too young for all that right now.

Glass Half Full said...

Talk about soccer....soccer....and even more soccer!!! I felt the same way when Matthew was in t-ball from April to July. With practices and games I felt t-balled out!!!

Lana said...

how was HFPE?

Unknown said...

Man, can't wait until I get to experience alllll the chaos of juggling schedules. For now, I'm always trying to fill ours up!

Anonymous said...

My daughter is soo bummed that she will be missing soccer this fall since we'll be moving. Hopefully wherever we go they will have a soccer program because she loves it!