August 30, 2006

Works for Me Wednesday - How to Store Meat



I couldn't get a great picture, but I think the idea is great and it works so well for me. When I buy ground hamburger, it's usually in bulk. So, when I get home I open the meat and divide it into portions that equal about a pound or so. Then I put the portions into gallon-size ziplock bags and flatten the meat out. This way they stack so nicely in the freezer and the thawing time is only about 15 minutes! It's much better than when I used to just divided the meat and then wrap it in foil. It took much more room in my freezer and took forever to thaw. Works for me!

8 comments:

Glass Half Full said...

I love this idea!!! Next Costco trip I will attempt it. I am always forgetting to take meat out early enough to thaw. :)

Mall Worker said...

I do the same thing with my club packs of burger or chicken!

Gabriela said...

I do that with my frozen prepared meals, but I never thought of doing it for ground beef in bulk! Nice idea! :)

Lala's world said...

ewww great idea! I buy bulk and then separate and freeze but have NEVER thought to flatten them out!! duh!!

thanks!

Lana said...

you're so smart!

Teresa said...

GREAT idea! I rarely remember to thaw out meat and end up doing it in the microwave! It's just not the same though. I'll have to use your idea!

Melessa Gregg said...

I just started buying and freezing my meat in bulk. This is an awesome tip! Thanks! (I save WFMW posts for Saturday since I'm too busy during the week for extended internet time.)

Anonymous said...

I do the exact same thing!!!!