May 10, 2007

Woman to Woman


Tips and Tricks:Getting the Family Together.
In today's lifestyle, it's sometimes difficult to get the whole family together at the same time. Kids' sports, music lessons, church meetings and many other things keep families on the go. What have you found to be successful tools for bringing your family together during those times when it seems that everyone is going different directions? If you are Empty-Nesters, what did you do when your children were still at home? What works today for getting together with your children and grandchildren?
I feel that spending quality family time is so important. In the world that we live in today there are so many negative influences that surround our children. For that reason I feel that as much positive influence that we can have on our children will make a lasting impression on them.
One thing we always try to do is to have dinner together. Because DH has a crazy schedule he is not always there, but the rest of us always eat together. And when he is there we all get to eat as a family. This is a time we can talk to the kids about their day, to ask them how things are going, and to just enjoy each others company.
On Sundays we always sit together as a family at church. The kids often ask if they can go sit with a friend, but we won't let them. This is a time when we can worship together and learn of our Heavenly Father.
We love to go on Sunday drives. Sometimes we look at homes. Sometimes we drive up the canyon and just enjoy the beautiful world that we have been so blessed to live in. We enjoy going on walks together, playing catch, having family movie night, playing games, barbeques, and family outings. I feel blessed to have such a wonderful family. I hope that I can teach my children to stay close to the gospel and that they will have the desire to remain faithful and to always choose the right.

8 comments:

Tori :) said...

Your family sounds like my family! We have dinner together, we sit together at church, we take walks... YAY! Our families ROCK! ;)

Suzanne said...

Great post! We love Sunday drives and walks too! :)

Chellie said...

Woo-hoo! Family time is the best and it makes me happy when I see other families doing what is important.

Amanda said...

Great post! Family time really is very important.

Mel said...

Family time is great, isn't it!

Lei said...

I have caught myself using hte excuse that "since daddy is not here, it's not going to happen". thank you for pointing out that it can still mean something to sit down to dinner together, whomever is there to do so!

Zoe said...

I never thought of the sitting together in church as a family time type of thing!! That is so true. Usually we are just happy to have our kids preoccupied so we can listen! LOL!

nikko said...

I agree -- my parents never let me sit with friends, either. Sarament meeting isn't a social hour, anyway.

I love that you go on drives. We used to do that a lot, too.