July 25, 2006

To Go Or Not To Go

We've had a major turn of events in our lives in the last week. It has been so crazy around here.

Issue #1
Tuesday evening I got a call from our "landlord". We got into our house a year ago on a lease with the option to buy. Well, our lease ended in June, so we started the paperwork to assume her loan. We thought everything was good and the same as it has been for the past year. When I was talking to her, she told me that she was changing the terms of our original agreement since the lease was up last month, and that she was going to increase the price of the house by $30,000. That is a ton of money. She said we had 30 days to get our financing or we would have to leave. What a shock! I didn't even know what to say. I told her that we were already in the process of doing all the financing, and she told me that it didn't matter, this was the way she wanted to do it, and she wasn't going to change her mind.

We really love this house. We have a great neighborhood, we're close to the school, we're in a good ward, we have a great friends here, and the list could go on and on. But, 30k more is A LOT of money, especially when there are things that need to be done to the house soon. The foundation is sinking and I think that will cost a lot of money to fix it. So, should we suck it up and buy it, or should we move?

Issue #2
DH bought into a cell phone start last year, with the help of a "silent partner". He provided the money, and DH would do the work. Everything was going wonderful. The store was running well and making the sales we needed. We had insurance and a salary that met our needs. Well, Wednesday (note, not even 24 hours after the house shock) our partner met with DH and told him they wanted to buy him out of his portion. DH asked why, and was told that they were trying to cut costs, and that his salary was too high. They told him that he had done everything that he was supposed to, ran things well, and that none of this was his fault, but that he didn't really have a say in the matter since they were the majority owner. They said we had a month left on our insurance (which I have to have because I'm on seizure meds that cost $270/mo. without insurance), and that after the next pay period our salary would be cut almost in half. Are they crazy? How do they expect us to support 4 kids on something like that?

About 6 months ago, my parents asked us if we would live in their house while they went on their mission. They live in Texas. We told them we didn't know because we had a house that we loved, a great job, and that we really enjoyed living here. Well, all of that seems to going down the drain now, except for the part about enjoying being here. So, should we take them up on that offer now?

We would be living with them for the next year until it is time for them to go on their mission. But, I think we'd be able to find a job in a timely manner that would pay enough to cover the bills. I'm so torn. MSL lives in TX and I've ALWAYS wanted to live next to her and have our kids grow up together. Now that could be a possibility. And, if we got a good enough job we would be able to save some money while we were taking care of the house.

On the flip side of things. We really LOVE it here. DH has a lot of family here, and we enjoy doing things with them. Plus, we love the area, have good friends, love the schools, my little sis and neice are here (which I absolutely love), and so much more. I really have no idea what the right choice for us is. I keep going back and forth. There are ups and downs to both choices. So the BIG question is, "To go or not to go?"

10 comments:

Lala's world said...

well if you are asking, I will give you my 2 cents for what it is worth.......I wouldn't buy a house where the foundation is sinking!! like ever! and I think having both things happen together like that is a pretty big sign that a move is likly...even if it is hard!
so there you have it....my 2 cents!

Mall Worker said...

Wow, thats a lot of bombshells to be droped! I don't know what to say, however I do agree with Lala's world, I wouldn't buy a house with foundation problems, especially if the lady is rasing the price!

Amadeo said...

I'm sorry all this is happening sister. I love you.

Mel said...

I wouldn't buy the house either! Moving is hard... but I would jump at the chance to have a financial break (no mortgage). I guess it's a matter of prayer. HF knows.

Lei said...

Wow - that is quite the list of decisions. I wish you luck with it. I am not sure what I'd recommend... mainly jsut wanted to pop in to say hello! ;)

Nettie said...

Wow! It doesn't rain, but it pours, huh? It does seem like events are pointing towards heading to TX, but I certainly can't tell you what you should do! I'm sure that Heavenly Father has a new plan for you and that it will be the best one for you and your family.

Dawnyel said...

It almost always seems that things hit all at once! I definately wouldn't want to be in your situation! I hope you can find the answer you need. All I could offer is: pray! He knows what your family needs as much as you do! Hope you can figure it out!

Lana said...

tx is great, you will love it here!

Come to TX, come to TX

Blackeyedsue said...

Wow, that is a lot for one person to handle.

My mom always said there is no growth in comfort. Although you love it here and you have every reason to (besides the sinking expensive house), it sounds like your path may lead to Texas.

Even though you are comfortable here, a move offers an opportunity for growth and change.

You and your family are in my prayers. I hope you find what you are looking for!

Tori :) said...

This post sounds so much like one I wrote a few weeks ago. Hit with so much all at once! I'm glad y'all have been able to make a decision you feel comfortable with. (As a misplaced Texan living in Utah I would have to vote for Texas...;)