September 10, 2006

Viral Infection

I've been feeling sick off and on for the last couple of weeks. Sometimes with a headache or a stomachache or sometimes both. I just didn't really think anything of it. Yesterday however I got really bad. I probably had the worst headache I've ever had. My eyes were extremely sensitive to the light. My stomach was hurting and I was so so tired. I've never been a paranoid person, but I sure got that way yesterday.

I've had about 50 bug bites in the last couple of weeks, and West Nile Virus has been on my mind a lot because it's being talked about all over the place. There have been several cases of it right here where I live. I thought if anyone was going to get it, it would be. Those darn mosquitos like my blood for some strange reason.

So, I decided to look up the symptoms of West Nile. I had all of them. I also had a lot of symptoms for meningitis. I called my brother (who is a dr.) and asked him what he thought I should do. He said I should go to the doctor and have it checked out. That's when I started to freak out. How could I be sick right now? I have four young kids to take care of. What if it was serious and I had to be paralyzed? I don't have insurance right now, how am I going to pay for all this? And the questions kept coming and coming and so did the fear and the tears. Now, as I've said before I don't usually freak out and I certainly was this time, which made me mad at myself. But, I was just so darn sick, I hated it.

I called DH at work and he figured out a way to leave and get home. When he got home, he got the neighbor to come over and give me a blessing. After my blessing we headed to the hospital. After a cat scan, vitals, a blown vein, an IV, phenergan, and staydol (don't know the spelling on either of those) they told us that it was nothing serious, just a virus attacking my body. I was so relieved that it was just that, but now I feel like a total lame person for freaking out like that. The medicine they gave me at about 3:00 yesterday helped me feel better and I slept for the rest of the day. I did get up for a short 1/2 hour, but was worn out afterwards. I slept the rest of the evening and all night, all the way until about 9:00 this morning. I think I really need that rest. When I woke up this morning I felt much better, but I still have a stomachache and a slight headache. I don't know how long this will last, hopefully not too long. We never were even told exactly what I had, but that all we could do was to treat the symptoms even if it was West Nile.

So, it's lots of rest (yeah, with 4 kids that's a possibility), pain pills, and nausea medicine. DH has been really supportive and helpful through the whole thing, which I appreciate more than words can express. The kids have been so sweet too. They keep asking if I'm okay or coming in to rub my head and give me little kisses here and there. We've had a pleasant day without a lot of commotion. I really hope this passes quickly so we can resume our usual way of life.

5 comments:

Lana said...

i wish I was there to take the kids and let you rest. They are so sweet though! I am glad you'll be okay. I love you!

Millie said...

I'm so sorry to hear you've been feeling sick... I'd bring you dinner if I could (hope that would help). It's miserable, being sick and not having insurance. I've been there and it's really not fun.

Hope you're feeling well soon.

Anonymous said...

Hey, better safe than sorry. I'm glad you went in, so you could stop worrying. I hope you feel better soon!

Nettie said...

I'm glad you went in, too. That West Nile virus is scary.

I sure hope you feel better soon, and that the mopsquitos leave you alone!

Mall Worker said...

That sounds very scarey. I'm glad you went to get checked. I also hope you feel better soon!