September 21, 2006

Canning



I've spent the last couple of days canning, which means I'm finally feeling better!! Someone in our ward has 2 huge apple trees, and some grape vines. They had used all that they wanted and offered the rest to whoever was willing to come and pick them. I had some friends who really wanted to do grape juice. We each got 7 quarts of concord grape juice, and 3 white grape juice. I'm excited to try the white grape juice. I've had the concord and it's so so YUMMY! It was really easy to do too, just time consuming.

Then, my friend Kendra wanted to do apples with me, so we spent the last 2 days doing apple pie filling. This is also very easy and very useful. It makes quick apple pie, apple crisp, or you can warm it and use it as an ice cream topping. So delicious!

There are still tons of apples and I hate to see them go to waste. I have all the jars, lids, and everything it takes to can, so really I'm getting free food storage. I think if I decide not to be lazy I might do some applesauce. J has decided that it's her new favorite food. She would eat it for every meal, if I let her. So, it's probably worth it do go and do it. Plus, I've heard that it's also easy to do.

Then, there's the plum tree that they have. I think I'll probably do plum jam, it's one of my favorites. I remember growing up we always had plum jam, and I loved it. My dad would eat it right out of the jar; I would never do that, but I do love it on my toast or on sandwiches. Seems to me that I still have a lot of work cut out for myself. But, since I didn't do any canning at the beginning of the season it's okay. I'm sure I will be glad I did it when we use all the yummy food!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I am so jealous! I would love to learn how to do all that. But I haven't a clue. Nor do I even have the fruit. But I still think it would be awesome.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you are making me hungry! I LOVE grape juice, and natural would be so much better than icky high fructose corn syrup mess!

Unknown said...

SOooooo ambitious...and it brings back nightmares of hot, steamy summer afternooons helping my mom!

nikko said...

Wow! You have been productive! I have nothing to can this year -- the drought killed all our peaches and all our tomatoes! Oh well. There's always next year.

Mel said...

wow! You have been busy! It all looks so yummy. I too have done apple pie filling and it's great! Way to go!

Amanda said...

Good for you!!! I canned peaches earlier this month and did some apple pie filling for the freezer. Would you mind passing along your recipe for apple pie filling that you canned?? You can email me if you wouldn't mind.
amclaws@msn.com

Anonymous said...

wow! Awesome! :)
I wanna come over!
(I promise..I'm not a stalker... I just have canning-envy!)

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Impressive! I'd love to be able to do this someday! And now I am hungry, too!

Anonymous said...

Man, I wish I knew how to can! I know nothing about it, but would really love to learn how!

Nettie said...

I'm impressed! That is a lot of work sitting on that counter.

I'm jealous, too! When we lived closer to my parents, they always gave us their concord grapes to make juice. We were so spoiled by it, that we couldn't stand drinking the store bought stuff for the longest time. And home canned applesauce tastes so much better than the store stuff, too.

Anonymous said...

I wish I was there so you could show me how to do all that!!! I bought stuff for canning last year and I am too scared to do it on my own.

melissa greenfield said...

I do all my canning myself too.I can really understand where you come from.It is very time comsuming,but very worth it .It is healthier and taste much better.Just wanted to share this with you .