September 7, 2006

Surprisingly Yummy Banana Squash Soup

I got a huge banana squash from my friend and wasn't quite sure what to do with all of it. I turned to the internet for help and found this yummy recipe. We loved it!


2-1/2 lbs. banana squash
4 Tbs. olive oil
3 Tbs. butter
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 cloves minced garlic
2-1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
sour cream


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Quarter and seed banana squash. Rub inside with 4 tablespoons olive oil and bake in a baking dish until tender, about 30 minutes. Insert a fork to test for doneness. When done, set aside and allow to cool.
In a pot melt 3 tablespoons butter and saute 1 medium diced yellow onion. As onion is sauteeing, scrape flesh from the banana squash and place into pot with onion. Add 2 cloves minced garlic and cook for a few minutes. Add 2-1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth to pot and simmer for 30 minutes.
Place soup mixture into a food processor and puree until smooth; return to pot. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add a drop of sour cream for extra flavor if desired. Serve hot.
Servings: 3

2 comments:

Code Yellow Mom said...

I just recently tried squash soup for the first time this summer...and my preschooler boys even loved it. I'm going to have to give this recipe a try!

Nettie said...

I think this sounds delicious! I made a pumpkin soup once that my kids have voted as the all time worst thing I've ever made, so I may have a hard time convincing them to try it!