September 4, 2006

Bennion Creek

Yesterday after church we went up the canyon to Bennion. We had some friends who were camping there for the weekend and invited us up. DH had to work, so we couldn't camp, but we did get to spend some time there. We took the kids for a little hike up the side of the mountain. It didn't look too bad at the beginning, but as we got around the corner, it was quite steep. The kids all did well, including little J who brought Dora along. Afterwards we just hung around talking and playing games. Then we barbequed. We each brought our own meat, but when it actually got down to eating, everyone just had whatever. It was so nice because everyone was willing to share and pitch in where needed. We put up a sheet on the side of one of the campers and the kids watched a movie and drank hot chocolate. Then we all just sat around the campfire. It was a nice evening just out in nature enjoying the simple things in life.

DH had to work today and the kids really wanted to go back up the canyon. I wasn't too sure I wanted to all by myself, but ended up giving in. I'm really glad I did because we all had a great time. It was really kick back. The kids all played down by the pond for a long time, while the women played cards and the men went shooting. When we were getting ready to go this morning, I thought to myself bring extra clothes. Did I listen? Oh no, I gave the kids way more credit than I should have. Maybe an hour or two of being up there and they all came back soaking wet. I remember specifically telling them just to take their shoes off and roll up their pants so they wouldn't get wet. Really it's my own fault. Everyone else was wet too. We rounded up shorts, p.j.'s, dirty jeans, and our own sweatshirts to change in to. They did however take their shoes and socks off before getting wet, so they did have dry feet! Oh well, that's what camping is for, right? Wet clothes, dirty faces, muddy hands, lots and lots of laundry, filthy car, lots of cleanup, and happy kids! Who could ask for a better day?!?

7 comments:

Mel said...

What a fun time! I love camping... even the dirty kids.

Chellie said...

I came across your blog-- and I read your profile and I smiled... yes-- whoever thought of the name "stay-at-home" moms?? I love raising my children and the myth of staying home, eating bon-bons and watching soaps are NON-exsistant. I love how your took your kids camping! That a girl!

Lana said...

how fun!

Teresa said...

I'm not much of a camper, but that sure sounds like fun! I know my kids would LOVE to get muddy and wet and drink hot chocolate!

Mall Worker said...

well, at least they took their shoes and socks off!

Anonymous said...

That all sounds great! I haven't been camping in about 5 years, and I've never gone with my family. I used to go everywhere with our churches youth group, it was soo fun....but the out houses were sooooo smelly!!!!!

Anonymous said...

That all sounds great! I haven't been camping in about 5 years, and I've never gone with my family. I used to go everywhere with our churches youth group, it was soo fun....but the out houses were sooooo smelly!!!!!