August 27, 2008

My Baby is 6

I can't believe that my baby is 6. I know she isn't a "baby", but she will always be my baby. J has been waiting and waiting for her birthday. I was looking back to her previous birthday posts to link her birth story and realized that I never posted one for her. Probably because right around her birthday school is starting, or we were moving, or sick, or something. So, here goes.




We were living in California with my parents, and I was dying in the heat. I remember that day we were just kind of hanging out around the house while DH was at work. Nothing out of the ordinary. I can't remember if I had gone to the doctor that morning or the morning before. Anyways, they checked me and I was at like a 3. Yeah! I was so glad. The end was in sight.



At around 3 or 4 I started to feel uncomfortable. I had a few contractions here and there but never paid much attention to them since they weren't constant. Plus I had contractions off and on for the last month. When DH got home I needed a break from the kids. So, I went in the room to lay down in the quiet. He came in a little while longer to let me know dinner was ready. So, I went out to eat. I couldn't eat (not a common thing for me). So, I laid back down. I started to get a little anxious and irritated and needed to get away. Hubby needed to run an errand, so we left the kiddos with my parents. For some reason I told DH that I thought he should grab our bag just in case.



Well, it was a good thing because maybe half an hour later, I told him that I thought we should probably go to the hospital. He asked me if I was sure, and I definitly was. By that point my contractions were constant, strong and hard and only 1-2 minutes apart. We got to the hospital and I swear it took me 10 minutes to walk across the parking lot. Then, of course I had to pee. I almost peed my pants.



So, we walked up to labor and delivery and they told me that they check everyone into triage first to make sure that it really is labor. Fine, whatever. So, we check in there, get in the room and the nurse does all the prep stuff she's supposed to do and then checks me. I'm at a 7. I'm thinking hooray, let's do this. She then tells me that she wants to keep me there for a little bit to see if I progress so she can tell if I'm really in labor. What? I'm at a 7! I was thinking how crazy this was. But again, whatever. Maybe 20 minutes later I tell DH that I think I have to push. So, he goes to get the nurse. She walks in practically rolling her eyes, telling me I couldn't be going that fast. She checks me and I'm at a 9 1/2. Stupid nurse. Then, she tells me yep, you can go and walk to labor and delivery again. I'm thinking are you kidding me? I can't even stand up. If I walk the baby will be born in the hall. The nurse leaves the room and does NOTHING. DH had to walk the halls to find me a wheelchair to take me to labor and delivery. I was ticked.



So, we get in there and the nurses are getting the room and bed ready for me. They were SO nice, completely opposite of my lame-o triage nurses. We told them what was up and even they were mad. We get in there and I have to pee again. The nurse was nervous for me to go to the bathroom because she didn't want the baby to be delivered in the toilet. But, I was somehow able to pee, get up, and make it to my bed. I did need a lot of help. Like 2 people helping me.



When I got on the table, the nurse checked me and I was at a 10, but there was a small lip around the head. At this point, my water still hadn't broken. She told me that legally she wasn't allowed to break my water, but if her fingernail happened to break it, would I be mad? Of course not. So, my water broke and she told me to do a little practice push to see if that lip would go away. I did a little half push and she immediately told me to stop. She practically jumped up on the table and was holding J's head in, while telling the nurse to hurry and get the baby, and telling me not to push. How I didn't push I don't know.



So, in comes the doctor and he barely manages to get gloves on and slip into his gown. He didn't even have time to do his gown up when I said "uh oh", or "oh no". Luckily I said that because he had just enough time to turn around and literally catch her as she was coming out. I didn't even push her out, but out she came. He later told us that that was the closest he had ever come to dropping a baby. He's darn lucky he didn't drop her.



She was a hefty 9lbs. 2oz. Big girl! She was so cute and so alert right away. I was so happy to finally have her here and to have her join our family. Her brothers and sister were also so excited. They all wanted to have their turn holding her when they came to visit.



J is such a beautiful, fun-loving girl. She has a very contagious smile. She is eager to learn and try new things. She loves to dance and I'm sure will love dance team this year. She plays the shy card when you first meet her, but after that she's very talkative and won't give you a break. She is a big helper when she wants to be. She can be a little stinker if she doesn't get her way, but we love her all the same. I'm grateful everyday that she was sent to our family. I love her with all my heart. She is such an amazing little girl. I love you J! Happy 6th Birthday






17 comments:

Mel said...

Isn't it amazing how fast they grow up! J is a beautiful little girl. I love the birth story... good thing the Dr. caught her;)

lera said...

Happy birthday! From what my Mason tells me, 6 is a good age to be.

As crazy as it sounds, a good friend of mine (a sister I used to VT) was 8 cm and not in labor. She was actually working and doing things around the house and not in the hospital! She never felt a thing. Needless to say, it was a quick delivery once things started to happen. (I told her I'd be afraid I'd sneeze too hard and the baby would come out!)

Lana said...

Happy Birthday Little Missy Jo!!

Saedi said...

That was so FUN! I loved reading your delivery story! Apparently we need to talk more, because I can't believe I didn't know any of that story. Wish J a Happy Birthday for us!

Mikelene said...

What a crazy delivery story! Happy 6th birthday, J!!

Chelsey said...

Tell her Happy Birthday! I love reading about other womens delivery stories! I'm so glad you wrote about that. (no job yet, so oh well!)

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

That was an amazing story. I didn't realize our girls were almost twinners. . .Katrina's 6th bday is tomorow! We really need to get them together. . they almost look alike, even! love you, S

Amanda said...

Happy b-day J! I remember when you called us from the hospital when she was born! I can't believe it has been 6 years! WOW Time flies!

She's a cutie!

c. griffith said...

Your page is sooo cute and your little baby is just edible. Thanks for sharing her birth story, it is fun to read other people's labor exprerience.
Charmela

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to my sweet little J.
I love you so much and can't wait to see you.
You are an awesome little 6 year old.
Love, Grandma

Yvonne said...

Happy Birthday to J. (Such a great day to have a birthday ; ) I'm sure no matter how old she gets she will always be your baby.

What a great birth story. I can't believe you're at 7 1/2 and they want to wait and see if you're in labor???
So glad the Labor and Delivery nurses were better.

nikko said...

Happy Birthday J! I love reading birth stories. I can't believe that the triage nurses were so lame. ;o)

Razzle Dazzle Berry said...

Love the new family picture!!!

Any news on Ari and the baby????

Anna said...

happy bday Jo! she's so cute and i love the new blog!

Company EIGHT said...

I loved reading your story--she is a beautiful girl!

Suzanne said...

Happy Birthday, J!!!

What a wonderful birth story. I'm glad the doctor made it on time. Boo for those nurses who didn't help/listen. I'm constantly surprised how terrible some nurses are at their job. Thankful there are many that do try!

I LOVE your new blog look and pictures. They're so pretty! :)z

Chellie said...

what a beautiful baby you have! Thanks for sharing her story!