August 26, 2008

Caterpillar or Worm?


We were at my SIL's house the other day and the kids were all outside playing. Then several of them came running in telling us about the cool caterpillar they found. They told us it was green and huge and fat and squishy and.... We then told them that it was probably a tomato worm and not a caterpillar. They didn't believe us for a while. Finally we convinced them, and then added that they shouldn't play with it.
When I went to download pictures onto my computer I found this lovely picture. So my instructions to not play with it were obviously ignored. What is it with kids and gross, creepy- crawly things? They all want to touch it and hold it. Gross. I on the other hand prefer to stay far away from such creatures.

13 comments:

Yvonne said...

I wouldn't want to be barefoot and step on THAT!!! As I type this my toes are curling ; )

Saedi said...

I think it's AWESOME! I love it that your kids got a picture of it!!! I can't believe how huge it is!

Cheri said...

Oh those tomato worms just gross me out!!

Mel said...

Gross! I've never seen anything like it.

tami and todd said...

That thing IS huge! I don't think I've ever seen one that big! And kids...

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

Ok, that is gross, I've never heard of them, do they eat tomatoes? YUCK!

Lana said...

wow, that's big!

Mikelene said...

That thing is HUGE!! Are there any pets missing in your neighborhood, cuz I think I know what ate them.... :)

Doran & Jody said...

My granddaughter just LUVS bugs!! All kinds. She would have begged to take this guy home. http://jcbgrange.blogspot.com/2008/08/butterflies.html
This is how much she likes bugs.

Amanda said...

looks like a tomato worm to me! SICK!!!!

Chelsey said...

That thing is HUGE!!! At least they took a picture so you know they weren't listening for sure.

Lees Everything Homemade said...

Those are the kind some crazy people like to fry up and eat! Find a couple of those and you can have a block party...be sure to invite me!

Shortcake and Company said...

Okay...I was watching Good Things Utah just this week and one of the hosts had the same critter in her yard and was wondering what it was. Their garden expert said it's a caterpillar if it has legs--most have four and then a break followed by six more legs. The tomato worms have no legs. Apparently they can look a lot the same. Nerdy to know the answer I guess...thank heavens for GTU! ;)