April 21, 2008

We're In The Army Now



My BIL and SIL are here visiting from Colorado. Kyle is in the Army and is getting ready to be deployed next month, so they are here visiting for a little bit before he has to go. He brought along some things for us to try out.
DH and I tried on his vest (if that's what you even call it), and his helmet. HOLY CRAP! That sucker is heavy. And, that wasn't even the actual weight of it all. There weren't any of his guns, and the magazines were empty. His water canteen was empty too. So once you add all that stuff, it's even heavier. I got down on my knees and then needed help getting up. I can't imagine all the running around and going up and down that they have to do. They are strong, that is for certain. They've got to be tuff. I never realized how heavy their uniform actually was. And, the helmet was heavy too. You would definitely get strong neck muscles from holding your head up with that helmet on.
He also broufght some MRE's for us to try. We got one with ribs, chicken and salsa, and one with ravioli. There were brownies, beef jerkey, cookies, fruit cocktail, crackers, wheat bread, cheese spread, and much more. They sure put a lot of stuff in each of those MRE'. I guess you get one a day when you're out, and they have 3000 calories each. Some of the stuff wasn't too bad, others I could do without.
The boys thought it was SO cool that we got to try all that food. They kept asking everyone if we wanted to try "army cookies", or "army gum", or "army meat". It was pretty cute! They really look up to Kyle. I'm glad that they have a good example that they can look up to. He is a great guy, and I'm sad to see him go again. This will be his 3rd tour of duty. Keep him and his family in your thoughts and prayers.

5 comments:

Brandee Lloyd said...

I am so glad to see that we have these amazing men and women that are willing to go and fight for our country. He must be some guy. Three tours would not be an easy thing to do. The land of the free because of the brave right!!!

Cheri said...

My nephew is in the army and he comes home on Saturday!!!!!
He's home for 2 weeks and then he ships out to Korea for 1 year.
I'm glad you got to spend time with your BIL before he ships out.
Tell him and his wife thank you for all the sacrifices he's making to serve our country for me please!

Yvonne said...

I'm so grateful to these men and women who serve our country. I hope they know they are appreciated.
We pray for our military and their families.

I can't imagine having on all that gear. Cute pictures.

Tori :) said...

The men and women (and their families) of the armed forces ROCK! I am so thankful for their sacrifice and service.

lera said...

I am always surprised how much my husband's army stuff weighs, too. I can't imagine having to work wearing those things. The helmet about snaps my neck in half.

My husband brought home some MREs a few years ago and my kids went wild. I doubt they would now ... they are a lot more picky.