April 12, 2008

Punctum Plug


Maybe about two months ago or so, I started getting some really tiny bumps on my bottom eyelid. At first I thought it was a sty, but it went away quickly. Then, I kept getting more. They weren't always in the same spot. I could kind of run my finger on my eyelid and it would pop the bump. I know, gross. So, since I was due for an eye check up anyway, I made an appt. to go to the eye doctor. He told me it was most likely from wearing old contacts, and or using old mascara. So, I changed both of those things in hopes that the bumps would go away. Of course, they didn't. About a month later, I went back to the doctor, and he said that my eyes were really dry, and that I may possibly have an infection. He prescribed some medicine and told me to come back in a week for a follow up appointment. The bumps didn't go away, even with the medicine, and they were starting to get slightly annoying.
The doctor told me that sometimes people just suffer from dry eyes and that there isn't a whole lot they can do. But, I did have one more thing to try. He told me about these plugs that you can put in your tear duct. Apparently when you blink, the tears "drain" into the tear duct. My tear ducts are bigger than most peoples (of course, because I have freakish things happen to me quite often) so the tears drain quicker, leaving my eyes with less tears than most. And, I'm a contact wearer, I stay up late, blah, blah. Which means I have lots of factors contributing to my dry eye problem, even though I never really thought I had dry eyes. They never bothered me before. He suggested we put in some temporary plugs that last 7-10 days to see if they would help. This sounded a little scary to me, because who wants something put into their eye? But, I agreed. First, he put some numbing drops in my eyes, which was so weird. My eyes felt totally crazy. Then, he opened my eye and put in the plugs. It didn't hurt, just felt strange. It's been 2 days, and I think I can feel a difference. I haven't gotten any of those bumps. So, that's a good thing. If I decide that I like them, then we can put permanent plugs in. Crazy. I've never heard of putting something in your tear duct. I've only heard of some babies needing to have their tear duct opened up. But, I'm lucky I get to have something shoved in there. Yeah me :}

14 comments:

Tori :) said...

Hmmm... that's interesting! I've never heard of tear duct plus either. LUCKY! ;)

Amanda said...

My bro in law got those, he said it wasn't too bad.

Cheri said...

I've heard of them before too- I hope they work for you. It's always something isn't it!!

Acacia said...

Eewwww! I can't put Visine in my eyes! Glad to know the bumps are gone. Will the doc take the plugs out of your eye? Will that help your ducts in the future, or will you have to have them in again?

Misty said...

While I absolutely appreciate this information and YOUR BRAVERY... I have the willies now.... Holy moly, girl.

Suzanne said...

Wow, I've never heard of tear duct plugs, but it sounds like they're hopefully working. Let us know how things go!

Chellie said...

I've heard of those plugs but never really knew much about them. Sounds crazy, but if it works... awesome!
I have terribly dry eyes...

Company EIGHT said...

I've never heard of that before! I really hope it works for you--

I have a good life said...

How odd. I'm sure it just felt weird. I'm glad they knew what to do for it, though! :) Are you visiting your sis this summer? I would LOVE to see you! :)

DeAnn McWhorter said...

Hi Valerie,
It's me DeAnn...do you remember me? DeAnn VanOostendorp (McWhorter now). I saw your blog off the lancaster reunion page and it was so great to see your cute family. Wow, doesn't time fly? Email me with your email address and I will invite you to my blog. I have links to Bart and Randi's blog and others you would probably have fun looking at. My email is deanninpa@yahoo.com Glad to see that life is so good for you!

Saedi said...

FREAKY! Man, you are seriously a walking health risk! Can I see the plugs when you come tomorrow?

Yvonne said...

I don't like anything in my eyes so that sounds horrible. I hope it is helpful for you.

sarahw said...

let me know how it is going w. the plugs for dry eyes... i had never heard of them, went to a new eye doc. today, and he put the temp. ones in and they are freaking me out... i feel like they are helping but i can feel them, or maybe it is just because i know they are there!? sarah :)

sarahw said...

hi, i just had the plugs put in today, so we'll see how they go... i had a new eye doc. i had never been to before, and this idea totally freaked me out, but thought i would give it a go... he did not use any anesthetic... hmmmm. i formerly had lasik, so a major part of the dry eye problem... they seem to help, but i am very aware of them, but maybe it is just because i just had it done! - let me know your thoughts and how it is going with yours!? - thanks, Sarah, ATL, GA