April 20, 2008

Brigham Young Winter Home

When we were in St. George, DH wanted to drive around to see if we could find Brigham Young's winter home. Well, we found it, and much to our surprise it was open for tours. The kids loved it! We were going to go bowling, but it wasn't open, so we decided to find this. As we were taking the tour, S turned to us and said, "This is WAY better than bowling, because this is like real stuff, church stuff." It was so cute. T thought it was cool that we were actually walking on the same path that Brigham Young once did. It was interesting to see how much they enjoyed themselves. And, to make things even better, they acted like angels! That was a miracle, since we've been having behavior issues lately.

DH loves history, especially church history. He served his mission in Independence, MO and really wants to go back, so we can see all of the church sites. I'd love to go to, especially since he has been there before and knows so much about all the sites that he could be our guide.



This is a tree in the backyard that was split in two when it was struck by lightning. Brigham Young and some other men performed "surgery" on it, so that it would not die. It was pretty cool! The tree was huge.



I thought this was a cool stove. It's huge. I can't even imagine having to build a fire inside, just so I could cook. Those women were amazing.



This is the pantry. They went out there to churn their butter, store their food, and much more.



This is Brigham Young's bedroom. It was the biggest in the house. I love the way things were decorated so elegant, although I don't think I could have my own house look that nice.

It was very interesting to go through this house and to hear stories of how he lived. We had a great time, and I'm glad we were able to take the time to go on the tour and to learn more about one of our great church leaders.

8 comments:

Cheri said...

How fun- that tree is amazing. I wonder what kind of surgery they did on it! Looks like you had beautiful weather too.

Company EIGHT said...

You made me homesick! I grew up there, and know the Brigham Young home well---how fun!!! Did you make it to the Jacob Hamblin home?

Rowberry Family said...

WOW! That is awesome, I didnt even know that it existed in ST.George! We are going to Nauvoo (sp) next summer and we are so exited to go!

Chellie said...

I've been there! :) How fun! Love your pictures!

Lana said...

how fun!

lera said...

I always love touring those homes. We've been to Nauvoo and Carthage twice (once for the temple open house). We also went to Kirtland.

Misty said...

I LOVE old museums... I love to imagine what life would have been like "back then".

Yvonne said...

Thanks for posting the pictures and the info. That was great.

I know there is a reason I was not born back them--I WOULDN'T HAVE SURVIVED!!!!