August 19, 2010

A Close Call


Yesterday we were driving home from T's soccer game and the car in front of us suddenly swerved and I was wondering what the heck was going on. I soon found myself also swerving because of a car driving into oncoming traffic. It was a close call. Maybe 10-15 minutes later I heard on the radio that there had been an accident. When I got home I looked it up on the internet and this was the report:

UTAH COUNTY -- A woman is in custody after her car slammed into a Utah Highway Patrol trooper's vehicle on Interstate 15. Troopers say she was driving the wrong direction.

UHP received dozens of phone calls about a wrong-way driver on the freeway in the American Fork-Lehi area around 9 p.m. Wednesday. Troopers say the woman had hit one car and almost hit several others.

A trooper from Utah County saw a white sedan headed north in the southbound lanes. As he spun his cruiser around to catch the car, the sedan slammed into his vehicle head on.

UHP's Sgt. Anthony Carrubba says, "He was able to walk to the ambulance on his own, didn't need to be on a stretcher or anything. (It) sounds like he's going to be OK."

The driver of the wrong-way car was treated at the scene for some bumps and bruises before she was taken into custody. No other injuries were reported.

Troopers believe she was under the influence of prescription medication.
I'm SO glad we made it out of there safely!

2 comments:

lera said...

That is very scary. I was a passenger in a car back in college and an old lady was driving on the wrong side of the divided highway. The driver of the car I was in didn't see it, but I sure as heck did. Thank goodness. That was long before cell phone days, so we couldn't report it.

I hope the police officer is okay.

Natalie said...

Oh My Gosh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so grateful you all weren't involved. I am saying a prayer of thanks.