March 14, 2008

A Pain In The Neck (literally)


I know this is an odd picture, but it's the best view I could get. A couple of weeks ago my throat started hurting. It was that hurt that you get when you start getting sick. I didn't pay any attention to it and just figured I was getting a cold or something. Well, after about 2 weeks and waking up Saturday morning with a huge lump in my neck, I kind of started to freak out. I went to the doctor Monday morning, hoping for some help and maybe an answer. What I got was: it's not strep, it's not my tonsils, it's not mono, it's not an ear infection, we don't know what it is. GREAT. Why did I even go? They put me on some antibiotics and said if it wasn't gone in ten days to come back. Fine. Tuesday I woke up sicker than a dog. I had a fever, the chills, my body ached, had a headache, no appetite. I felt crappy. Wednesday was no better. Thursday I went back to the doctor because instead of getting better I was getting worse. They repeated the tests from Monday, nothing. That evening they did an ultrasound. Turns out it's a huge swollen lymph node, which the tech told me was the biggest one she ever saw. Not only that but I also had at least 15 smaller swollen lymph nodes surrounding the big one. Yeah for me. The doctor switched my antibiotic to a stronger one and once again said that if it wasn't gone in ten more days to come back in for a biopsy. He was concerned because he doesn't know why I have it. Luckily this medicine is working. I feel much much better. I can turn my head again, lay on that side, and eat. It's not gone, but it is getting smaller. I've got until Tuesday, so hopefully it will be gone. I'm thinking having a needle stuck into my neck won't be too fun.

25 comments:

Cheri said...

Oh my word- that is huge!!
Thank goodness for antibiotics. I hope it goes away all on it's own, because I agree with you. A needle going in your neck sounds terrible!

Lorina said...

Remember my post about my sickness. I had the same thing!! Except mine was lymph nodes and my tonsils. They tested me for everything too, and put my antibiotics.. he actually said "this should kill whatever it is." Wow thanks! I am so sorry that I gave you my sickness via internet.

I am glad that its working, I still have a swollen type neck but it is no where near what is was.

Klin said...

Wow, that is huge!

I hope you get feeling better soon. Mine were both big, but I had strep.

The not knowing had to be worst.

On the bright side I'm betting you would be the winner of a contest. :P

Misty said...

Um.... yeah!.... I totally SEE that. I wish you a speedy recovery!!

chrissy said...

HOLY COW. That makes my neck hurt just looking at it! I hope those antibiotics help you fell all better soon.

Tori :) said...

What the heck?!? That's crazy. And 10 days seems like a long time to have you wait. Hmmph.

Anna said...

Whoa!! That does look bad! I'm sorry, I hope you feel better and it goes away.

Yvonne said...

My goodness--that is HUGE!!! I hope it is gone before you go back to the doctor. I wouldn't like the idea of a needle in the neck ; (

Hope you're feeling better.

Gabriela said...

Dang, that's scary-I hope the medicine continues to work.

Your tea towel curtains are totally cute. How creative of you!

nikko said...

yikes! I hope it goes away soon.

Amanda said...

OUCH!!!!!! I had to have a lymph node removed because it wouldn't go away. Antibiotics wouldn't work. so, they did surgery.

I hope yours goes away!!! That looks painful!

Chellie said...

wow.. that's really scary! I am glad it is going down and you are feeling better!

Kelsi {John, Jake, Georgia, Naomi, Alice} said...

I had something similar. Had the needle in the neck. Fluid drawn. Wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. Honestly, couldn't really feel it.

Hope it heals though, you don't need anymore needles! :)

Anonymous said...

I hope it keeps getting better! That's so crazy. I would have been completely freaked out.

Tonya said...

Yikes, I hope it gets better really soon. Don't you just hate it when the docs can't figure it out. Good luck!

Lei said...

I can't believe this - I have the same issue right now with a sore gland in my neck... though mine isn't nearly as swollen as yours is and it sounds like I'm not nearly as sick (knock on wood). I'm surprised it couldn't be dx'ed. The last time I had a swollen gland in my neck it was dx'ed as mono, and it was about that big. But, I'm so sorry you've been sick... hang in there! (((hugs)))

Mel said...

Holy Cow, I hope everything is okay! Keep us posted.

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

OK, your neck is going to be in my nightmares tonight, that and the big needle. . .I hope you get better soon, you're in my prayers! OK, now tell me how the heck you lost 47 lbs! That's amazing!! Did you blog about this? I'll look and see if I can see what you're doing.. .I really need to for that cruise! xo, Sarah

Rowberry Family said...

Wow! I hope the meds are helping! Ok, i totally agree with your friend. Please blog about how you have been losing all that weight! Iam starting the Lemonade cleanse this week have you heard of it??

I have a good life said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHH! I am so sorry. What a "Pain!" I am glad that you are feeling better. I hope it completely goes away soon.

Company EIGHT said...

Holy moly! I really hope the medication keeps working--a needle in the neck does NOT sound fun! Get better soon!

Three Love kids said...

yep you are right, that doesn't look fun. hope all goes well, keep me updated. love ya

c. griffith said...

I actually had the exact same thing happen two weeks ago. It was my third time having a swollen lymph node. Try a warm compress also, it helped me a lot. Take your antibiotics until they are gone and try Tylenol if it is painful. I know exactly how you are feeling. I did not wear my hair up until it was gone. I will keep you in my prayers.

Nancy Face said...

OH NOOO! I'm so sorry you had to go through all that misery and worry! I hope everything will be okay!

lera said...

Owie!!!! I hope everything turns out well!