March 3, 2008

Flooded Cellar

Last Wednesday I was getting ready to get in the shower and I turned the water on as usual. We have to let the water run for a minute or two because of the placement of our water heater. Well after about five minutes and no hot water, I told hubby that something was wrong. He told me to try the kitchen. I did. Still no hot water. So, we went into the cellar where the water heater is, and found a flood. Our immediate thought was that the water heater was broken. Great.

I called our home warranty people to report a claim. They told me that someone would be in contact with me to set an appt. between Wed. morning and Thurs. evening. So, that meant I could possibly be without hot water for at least 3 days. Yeah for us.

DH couldn't find someone to go in and work for him so he had to go in for a little. Which left me to haul out all the stuff we had stored down there and to clean up the water. Luckily my friend came over to help me. It was such a pain. I had some food storage that got ruined, and my wedding dress got wet. Hopefully I can get the dress cleaned and it won't be ruined. It's not like I'm going to wear it again, but it does have sentimental value. There was about 55-60 gallons of water down there.

I had another friend come over who used to work for a plumbing company. He said he couldn't see any problem with the water heater. The flood put out the pilot light which was why we had no hot water. But we couldn't figure out where the heck the water was coming from. Then, there was a new puddle forming. We saw that it was coming from a crack where the floor meets the wall. But, was it from a broken pipe? From the high water table? From the drain off from the house? We didn't know, and still don't. We just know that we've got to seal off the cracks or put in a pump so that we don't have another flood.

So fun for us!

17 comments:

Misty said...

Oh MAN! Your weekend wins - - by far - - for trouble. Any thing I can do to help??

Chellie said...

oh goodness! What a pain!! So sorry about that!

Lorina said...

How awful! I am so sorry that happened. I hope it all works out without you losing anything special to you..like a wedding dress!

Anna said...

Boo!!!

Tonya said...

Oh the joys of home ownership..NOT. What a pain for you. This is when having a landlord would be great. Good luck!

Tori :) said...

Oh ugh... not fun. I'm sorry!!

Kelsi {John, Jake, Georgia, Naomi, Alice} said...

oh val. i hope it's not too bad. thinking of you.

Mel said...

I'm sorry, that totally stinks! We had a flood in our basement once and I remember what a pain it was to clean it up. Not knowing the source of the water leak has got to be stressful. I hope its just a one time thing.

Melissa said...

Oh man that stinks....I hope you dont from no shower!! haha just kidding.
So does someone still have to come out and if so isn't it a pian getting someone out there..how would they feel having there house flood and no hot water. some people I swear dont get it do they!!

Rowberry Family said...

uggggggggggggg! Iam so sorry! that is a pain!

Anonymous said...

What a pain! I hope that every thing is covered by insurance so you don't have to pay for it. I hope it's not a broken pipe, too. Good luck!!
-Kathy

nikko said...

Ugh. Not fun!

Three Love kids said...

oh i am so sorry. i hope your dress can get cleaned. if i hear of 2 more things after this happening to you i am sure you are jinxed(knock on wood).. let me know how it all turns out. good luck.

Camille said...

I'm SOOOOO sorry. ANd even more so that you're the lucky one who had to clean it up. I hope everything is okay now!!!

lera said...

Oh no!!!!

We had a broken water heater last year and flooded. We've also had 2 sewage backups in our basement (from our town sewage! not even our own). Luckily we caught them all early on ...

Cheri said...

What a nightmare!!
I hope your dress is ok.
I hate when things like that happen.

Fleur de Bee said...

Oh No! We had our bathroom leak just a month ago and had to undergo about $7k worth of repairs...it was NOT pretty. The whole flooring was stripped down to the floor joices...it was insane. Thankfully we had insurance to cover it all. I hope things get cleaned up ok. So very sorry, I know just what you are going through with the clothing too...a closet was right below! I took my stuff to City Cleaners as they specialize in damage and bringing them back to life. They are located downtown. Hope that helps! :)