November 7, 2007

A Precious Miracle


A few weeks ago I got to go see my friend give birth. I've never been to one besides my own, and have always wanted to. This was her fifth. She had her fourth and fifth at home. When she found out she was pregnant we talked a lot about her home delivery. She told me that if I wanted to, I could come when Simon was born.
I was so excited and went home to tell DH. He said that was cool but she probably wouldn't remember when she was in the middle of labor. So, I told myself that could very well be the case and I might not actually get to go. But, I did!
I got a call at 4:30 a.m. and was told that she was at an eight and that if I wanted to I could come over. I hopped right up, changed, threw my hair in a pony tail, brushed my teeth and I was off. I was so excited.
I was there for about 2 hours before the baby was born. She had a tough time because the baby was posterior. I felt so bad for her. Having gone through childbirth myself without pain medicine, I knew exactly what she was feeling and had such empathy for her. But, she did a great job and it was such a miracle to see this sweet baby boy come into the world.
She was eight days past her due date, so he came out big at 9lbs. 15oz. and 21 inches long. Such a big boy!! I woke her boys (9 and 7) up as the baby was coming because they wanted to be in the room as well. Then, shortly after the girls (5 and 3) came into the room. They were excited to see their new baby. The girls were a little hesitant. The boys cut the cord and helped with Simon after he was born.
I got to hold him just minutes after he was born! There is just something about babies coming into this world. No matter how you look at it, it is a miracle. He is a precious little boy and I am so glad that I was able to share this wonderful experience with their family.

11 comments:

Camille said...

I'm in shock. When I hear things like this I am in awe. I don't dialate..therefore my babies have to be in a hospital and unfortunately, have had to be under the knife. Bless her heart and I well done you for being so brave! I couldn't do it!!!

Tonya said...

What an amazing blessing. I have never seen it either and always wanted to. You can't see something like that and not believe in a higher power :o)

Ali said...

Congrats, you're post has made a pregnant woman cry for two reasons: the birth story was beautiful (that's the first reason!) and second of all - a 9 pound baby without an epidural...OUCH!!! What an amazing woman. I am glad you got to experience that amazing moment.

Tori :) said...

Holy huge!! Tell your friend Congrats!!

I would love to witness a birth besides my own also. Lucky!

Yvonne said...

I think there is nothing in the world that compares to watching a baby come into the world. It truly is amazing to watch. So glad you got to be there.

Klin said...

Two words: How cool!

Cheri said...

Oh I'm so jealous! I have really changed how I feel about having people around when giving birth. I only had my husband there and now I really wish I had my mom there too.
I hope when my girls get to that point in their lives they allow me to be there for that miracle!

Suzanne said...

How special to be able to be there! You're right, that is a big little guy! My little brother weighed that at birth and he didn't look like a newborn at all by the time he came home from the hospital the next day! LOL!

Emily said...

Wow, having babies at home and having sons in the room. That lady is crazy. I mean that in the nicest way. That is awesome that you got to be there.

Kelsi {John, Jake, Georgia, Naomi, Alice} said...

thanks for the amazing story! It makes me look forward to my own homebirth coming soon. Thanks Val. I sure love you!!

Amanda said...

That is so awesome! When a baby comes into this world it is a true gift from God. I had a c-section, so I didn't do the whole pushing thing, but it was still amazing! I love seeing these precious miracles come into the world!