September 21, 2007

M's Tummy


About 4 or 5 years ago M had a hernia repair surgery. She was born with an umbilical hernia. The operation went well and with no complications. However a few years later when J was getting ready to have the same surgery, we noticed that M had a hard bump on the top of her belly button. It felt kind of like a little pellet.

We thought maybe it was puss and tried to pop it. That didn't work. I took her back to the surgeon who did the surgery and he said it was probably just some scar tissue, so he removed it. It grew back. Then my brother removed it. It grew back, again.

We had no idea what it was. It only bothered her when she bumped into something, but that was enough to try again to have it removed. When my brother came down for her baptism, I asked if he would try again. So, he did. We had our own little surgical center set up right in the middle of my living room. This time he cut deeper and as he was cutting we saw a dark line. I asked what it was and he said he wasn't sure yet and kept cutting. He finally figured out that it was a stitch that had been left inside of her from her surgery. The hard spot on the outside of her tummy was the stitch trying to work its way out. So, he removed the stitch.

At first I was very upset because that was left in there. I thought that only dissolvable stitches were supposed to be left inside. But, I was wrong. I guess sometimes they leave some stitches inside, but in this case hers tried to come out. Luckily there was never any kind of infection. I do feel bad that M had to be cut that many times though. So, my brother made her a new belly button and we haven't had any problems since!

One of the many advantages to having a brother who can help us out with our little skin problems! Thanks Alec!

8 comments:

Klin said...

Glad M got that fixed. My youngest had an umbilical hernia as well as a ventral hernia. She got a new belly button that day.

Mel said...

How nice that your brother could do that for you! I think every family needs to have a doctor;)

Melanie said...

Oh my word! I would have been upset too I think. How brave is your little M to just sit herself right down and let Alec do the job?! Good for her!

Tori :) said...

I had an umbilical hernia!! I had surgery twice!! Woo hoo! ;)
Did I know you have a brother named Alec? Where does he live? How old is he? Am I nosey??
I'm glad M is doing better. That stitch pic was gross.
Ok, I'm gonna go. I think I had too much caffiene tonite. :)

lera said...

Poor M.

That is scary. I don't believe in dissolvable stitches anymore. My OB's have always said, "oh these will dissolve in 2 wks or less ..." I've gone back for my 6-wk checkup and they are still there!

Amanda said...

Poor M! How nice that your brother was able to take care of it for her! :D

Suzanne said...

So I'm assuming that your brother is a doctor and popping out stitches isn't just a hobby? ;) I'm glad you were able to get it taken care of! :)

chrissy said...

You probably won't get this comment, since you posted so long ago.

But HOLY COW! My husband had the same thing happen to him. He had a cyst removed from his scalp and we didn't know it then, but a stitch was left in. He got a really bad staph infection was on MAJOR doses of antibiotics for months. Finally after seeing two different doctors (and many InstaCare trips later) they found the stitch. I'm so glad you guys found it sooner rather than later!