July 24, 2007

Idaho, Day 3 cont.

After lunch we headed out for Yellowstone. It is huge. We spent a long time there and enjoyed every minute of it. There is so much to do and we didn't even cover half of the park. We got to see buffalo, waterfalls, deer, geysers, Old Faithful, buffalo, bald eagles, and did I mention buffalo?
Buffalo Central!
There were so many buffalo here. We got a ton of pictures. I was surprised at how close we got to some of them. I think they must be used to people because we saw some next to a campsite. A few even crossed the road right in front of our car. I got a little nervous because we were just a few feet away from them.

One of the many beautiful waterfalls that you can see as you drive through the park! Aren't they gorgeous!?!


Excelsior Geyser Crater


We also saw some geysers. You could see the steam coming off the top of the water, and you could feel the heat just from standing by it. Some of the geysers had a rather unpleasant smell to them. At one point one of the geysers erupted and went off for over 40 hours. We walked around a huge one. The water was a very beautiful blue. I read in one of the pamphlets how dangerous the geysers were because of their temperature. We couldn't even walk directly on the ground because there could be some areas that appeared to be solid surface, but that would actually break if you stepped on it, and you could fall in the water and be burned. So, we had to be very careful around those areas.
Yellowstone Lake.
I was reading about this and it said that it is 430 feet deep. Now, that is deep!
Yellowstone was amazing, and I'm so glad we got to spend so much time there. The kids loved exploring and hiking around all the different areas. We let them each pick a souvenier from the gift shop. When we went to check out I had to laugh because the girls both ended up with sunglasses, the boys each got a necklace, and DH and I both picked out shirts. What a wonderful day!

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

Ooh, I love Yellowstone Park, but I haven't been there in years. That would be scary with the buffalo so close! What if one of them had wanted to charge! Beautiful pics! :)

Kelsi {John, Jake, Georgia, Naomi, Alice} said...

You have the cutest family! Seriously, your kids are beautiful... which is to be expected :)

Cheri said...

Looks like a beautiful place to visit. Love the family picture!
We ended up with about 600 pictures from Mt. Rushmore area- I bet you have a ton from Yellowstone too!!

Chellie said...

I love Yellowstone too! How fun for you and your family! Great Pictures!