November 8, 2008

Mom & Dad


My parents got a call to serve in the Brussels, Belgium/Netherlands mission. They recieved their call back in June and had to wait until November 3rd before they could enter the MTC. They were thrilled to go. Mom was nervous, but willing. This is a picture of them the day they were set apart. It was an awesome experience to be there with them when they were set apart as full-time missionaries.
So, Monday we said our good-byes and off they went. They were only supposed to be in the MTC for one week and they were scheduled to fly out on Nov. 10th. I got to talk to my mom a few times for a couple minutes and she told me how they were doing and learning and what a wonderful experience the whole thing was for them. Then, on Friday evening I got a call from her saying that Belgium would not give them a Visa, so they were not able to go on Monday, and could they come back to stay with us again. Of course I said yes.
Now they are here with us and kind of in limbo. They don't know if it'll be a day, a week, or a month before they will be able to go out into the mission field. I can tell they are disappointed. This has been a dream for my Dad for a very long time. For as long as I can remember he has always wanted to serve a mission, and finally his chance was here.
I hope that things will get sorted out quickly and that they will be able to leave and fulfill the Lord's work. What an amazing experience they will have. I don't know why this is happening now, and I feel so bad for them. I almost don't even know what to say. But, I know the Lord has a plan for them and things will work out when they are supposed to. Now we just have to wait and be patient.

19 comments:

Klin said...

You will find out why this is happened the way it did. How exciting for your parents to 1) hang with you a bit and 2) get to serve a mission.

Enjoy 'em while you can. Duh. I know you will.

Yvonne said...

I'm so sorry there has been a problem with their visa, but it will be so exciting when they get them and they are on their way. Enjoy the time together.

Rowberries said...

waiting is always the hardest part. A mission is truly a great oppurtunity so I know how your dad must feel to have to wait. It will all work out.

Mel said...

Today when I was walking the halls (with my little one) at church I noticed one of the missionaries was serving in the Brussels/Belgious Netherlands mission. I remembered hearing about someone else serving there and then here we are. It was your parents that I had heard about. Everything will work out but I'm sure its frustrating to them right now. Enjoy your time with them:)

Kelsi {John, Jake, Georgia, Naomi, Alice} said...

how exciting that they are ready to go. they are such incredible people. the lord has something extra special prepared for them. be patient and send my love.

Amanda said...

I am so excited for your parents. What a great thing they are doing!!! i'm sorry to hear that things are a little messed up right now. It all happens for a reason!

Good luck to them both!

Chellie said...

It will all work out... soon they will be on their way! How exciting!

Mikelene said...

How exciting for your parents! (Not the no-visa part, the mission part.) That's awesome that they're willing & able to serve a mission.

allison nadauld said...

Make sure you take a trip to Europe with you hubby to visit. We did that with Aaron's parents...so fun!! They'll be great missionaries.

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

Oh, that must be so hard for them! Poor things. Amatchi Marie Jeanne came over last night to watch a French sub-titled movie with us and she was telling us how they are in Belgium now (the movie was set in Belgium) I was shocked to hear they aren't there. . .I won't tell Amatchi. It'll confuse her.

Tori :) said...

Congrats to your parents. I hope things will get sorted out soon.

Anonymous said...

I hope it all works out. And I hope the separation will be easy for you when your parents are so far away.

My parents served in Fresno, CA, which wasn't far away. But I was a new mom and really missed having my own mom around for support. Luckily they were only gone for a year and their Mission Pres. let me go visit.

Good luck to your parents!

Gabriela said...

That's so cool-I hope things work out soon for them. I have friends who just finished a 4-year State Department assignment in Brussels-they loved it. We went and visited once and it was awesome-I hope they get there visas to go there.

Chelsey said...

Thats awesome they are so excited and anxious to go on their mission. Best of luck to them and I hope they get their visas soon!

Lisa M. said...

Oh how exciting.

I am sure it will all be sorted out, at some point! How frustrating.

Fare Thee Well.

I wish my parents could have gone.

Brooke said...

Your parents are so cute! I'm sure everything will work out.

Suzanne said...

Your parents are so cute! I'm sure it was hard to see them go, but how exciting for them!

lera said...

I was just about to comment "how exciting!" until I read the rest of the post. I sure hope the Visas come through quickly and they can start serving their mission immediately. It must be hard to be in this limbo state.

Christine said...

Thats so sad they aren't able to go yet but I'm sure you love having them close..and how cute that 'papa' is palying dinasours with his cute grandson. Hopefully everything will get worked out soon.