September 22, 2008

I'm A Workin' Woman

So, last week was my last week babysitting. And today I started a new job. I got a job at my kids' school working as a math and reading tutor. Today was busy and a little bit crazy. I think it'll be that way for a while until I get into a routine. I will only working part-time which is perfect.

This is a big change for me, and I had quite a bit of anxiety over it. I LOVED watching Corbin and being home, but DH felt like I needed to be done. I cried every day last week trying to figure out what to do. First, I decided to be a substitute teacher for the district. But that didn't feel right. I had a sick feeling in my stomach, and every time I thought about it something didn't click. I was worried about way too many things.

So, then I decided that I would just keep babysitting. But, then I felt guilty like I wasn't listening to what DH was saying. He told me he wanted me to do what would make me happy. I thought babysitting was that thing.

Well, a few days later I remembered that the school was hiring a tutor. I went and talked to the principal and he hired me the next day and asked if I could start on Monday (today). I said yes, and here I am.

This decision was the only one that didn't either make me feel like I would puke all day, feel guilty or anything else. This decision felt right. It'll be an adjustment for sure. But, I think it'll be for the good. I will miss Corbin terribly, but he won't be out of our lives. We will still pick him up and let him come play or take him to McDonalds, or whatever. I didn't think my life would take this turn right now, but it sure did. I hope it'll be a good turn and what our family needed.

21 comments:

Tori :) said...

Good for you!! I can't wait for the day I can do something outside of the home. I love being home with my kiddos, but once my kiddos are in school NO MORE BABYSITTING!!! :)
Congrats!

Cheri said...

Changes are so hard. I babysat for 14 years while my kids were still small. I just got done last year. I'm loving not doing it anymore.
Good luck with the job!

Razzle Dazzle Berry said...

Good luck with the new job!!

Oh, I loved the salad a the blessing lunch...someone told me you made it.....could you pass along the recipe????

Chellie said...

Very cool.. .so happy for you! I bet Corbin's mom was sad you weren't available anymore!
I can't wait until Scarlet and Jaxon are in school so I don't have to work. I'm going to use that time as my "time-off."
It sounds like it's a good fit for you! Keep us posted.

Yvonne said...

It's great when you feel good about a decision.

Enjoy the job.

Amanda said...

How fun!!!! Good luck! I'm sure you will do great!!!!

Once you get in a routine you will feel less anxious. That is how I am!

Keep us updated!

Fisher Family said...

I was just thinking about you last night wondering what you had decided to do about everything. Glad everything has worked out... it seems like that's the perfect job for you, especially with it being part time and right at the school with the kids. Hey did you sign up for the Relief soci

Fisher Family said...

sorry I realized I hadn't finished with my sentence when Caleb asked me to do something. I was asking if you had signed up to go to the Relief Society dinner on the 27th?

Mikelene said...

That's great! Hope the new job goes well for you! Too bad my kids don't go to the same school as yours (or live in the same state, for that matter), b/c I think you'd be an awesome tutor.

Lisa M. said...

Good luck with your endeavor. It sounds like a great opportunity.

Saedi said...

I didn't know that you had decided to become a tutor! You are so smart! Can you come tutor me and my kids so that we can be smart like you?? Wait a minute, that might be going backwards though, wouldn't it? heehee. Gotta get my jab in!

Kelsi {John, Jake, Georgia, Naomi, Alice} said...

you'd most likely be volunteering at the school anyway... now you just get paid for it! Good for you, Val. Hope the day went well. And that it turns out to be just what you needed. Sure love ya.

Chelsey said...

I'm excited I get to see you there! You are going to do so good at the school. I totally understand how you're feeling though. Its hard to balance home and family vs other things. But you're awesome and you'll do great!

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

What a fun life change. . .I've started working this year, too. . .I coordinate a reading program, where community volunteers come into the school and do 30 min. sessions, reading with at risk kids. . . but it's a volunteer position. . I wish I got paid. . . have fun! S

Rowberry Family said...

How exiting! Sometimes the change is hard, but it will be good! Enjoy your new job!

Suzanne said...

I'm so glad that you made a decision that feels right for you! I'm the same way, if it's not right, I feel like I'm going to puke.

How nice that it's only part-time and you're right there where your kids are. I'm going to go back to work in the school system eventually because it works perfectly around the kids' schedules. I'm so excited for you!

nikko said...

Good for you! I hope it goes well!

Brandee Lloyd said...

Good luck Val! You will be great at this new job. You work very well with kids and Corbin will be ok but I bet he will miss you terribly!!! Love Ya.

I have a good life said...

I'm proud of you for listening to what was right! It will be okay since you chose what felt right. Good luck to you...you are so awesome that you will do great at whatever you do! :)

alison said...

Wow, a tutor! I could never be a tutor because I can't even help my kids understand their own homework! I hate that feeling of being tied up in knots. I'm glad it's all over with and your decision has been made. Good for you!

Gina said...

Congrats on the new job! I hope it's something you find joy in every day like you did with Corbin.