February 16, 2007

Gratitude Friday

Well, I haven't done a gratitude day in a long time. Not that I don't have anything to be grateful, but simply because life has been busy and we have so much going on. But, as I was thinking at how long it's been since I've done a gratitude day I realized that I seemed to appreciate things more when I actually stopped to be grateful for what I have.

I went visiting teaching yesterday and my friend was telling me how she burned her eye rubbing it after she had cut a jalapeno. She had to have running water on it until she got to the ER where they gave her some numbing drops. When they looked at her eye, she had tiny burn blister all over. She said how she thought she was going to be blind after all was said and done. Luckily she's not. But, her story made me think about sight. I'm so glad that I have the ability to see. I never thought about it before, but I am truly grateful for my sight. So, today I'm grateful for the five senses.

Sight- So I have the ability to see the beauties of the earth. So I can watch my children learn and grow. So I can drive, cook, craft and so many more things.

Hearing- So I can hear the needs of my children (although at times I would prefer not to hear all the whining and complaining). So I can hear the words "I love you". So I can watch movies, listen to conference, and whisper to my hubby.

Touch- So I can feel the touch of passion. So I know what it's like to feel what it's like to hold a childs' hand. So I know if I'm hurt.

Taste- So I can enjoy all the foods that I love. Of course, I've wondered if I couldn't taste would I love to eat as much as I do?

Smell- So I can enjoy the scents of fresh laundry, baked goods, cinnamon spice candles, roses, babies, dill, lemon cleaner, and apple pie.

I'm grateful for my senses and that I have the ability to experience all the wonderful things that God has given us on this earth.

Do you realize that you have been given exactly what you need just so that you may proceed with the spiritual lessons and growth that you, you alone, need to master? Yes, life can be absolutely daunting, but you can have gratitude when you realize that you have just what you need. Gratitude is the virtue that shifts our energy in order to facilitate our great growth to the next levels. Without the hankering after what we don't have, we allow ourselves to receive from God just what we need. Then we have and use just what we need to, so that we're prepared for greater gifts and gains inside.

~Michael Goddart

2 comments:

Mel said...

The 5 senses are a huge blessing to us. I often wonder what it would be like to not see or hear. Thanks for your thoughts!

Chellie said...

It's easy (for me) to take for granted our 5 senses, but you are right, we should be grateful for them because many people live without knowing all 5 senses.
Thanks for that.